The Luminous Group has been an advocate of proactive risk management and effective and efficient application of FMEA for nearly 25 years. With the introduction of the combined AIAG & VDA FMEA methodology, we’ve created a new training roadmap that level-sets FMEA veterans and new FMEA practitioners and then introduces the new features of the combined methodology. The focus is on applications specific to your company to mitigate real risks in design and manufacturing.
Training options exist for both Design and Process audiences. Training can be on-site, but live virtual is preferred as most sessions are 2 hours or less (the day 2 session is ½-day).
The four sessions cover:
- Learning ‘why’ FMEA is important
- The 7-steps at the core of the new combined methodology
- Facilitated small group practice with FMEA applications to an actual product design or manufacturing process operation
- Feedback to the small group on their work product
The objective of this training program is to enable participants to understand and apply the AIAG & VDA FMEA 7-Step methodology. This core training program consists of two knowledge training modules followed by two small team application workshops. In the application workshops participants will practice the new methodology (without software) and receive feedback (working in groups of 4 to 6 people).
The application workshops focus on concerns that your team suggests from their everyday experience. This training roadmap allows a group of up to 30 team members to be trained and complete an application exercise in less than two weeks. Your team will then have the foundation to create and improve FMEAs using the AIAG & VDA FMEA methodology.
FMEA Leadership Training for Managers and Directors
In addition to training for FMEA practitioners, we recommend training for design group and manufacturing site leaders, especially for the managers of the participants. This is included as one 1-1/2 hour session prior to the practitioner group training, and one 1-1/2 hour session at the end of the workshops. These leadership sessions will enable managers to reinforce the risk assessment methodology by asking thought-provoking questions to the practitioner training participants and by providing post-training application assignments.
Sustaining the Sufficiency of FMEAs
To reinforce the learning and further help practitioners develop confidence with the new methodology, we provide an option for as-needed review of team or individual work product. This could take the form of drop-in ‘office hours’, document review with feedback, FMEA audits or Reverse-FMEAs.
Unique Aspects of our FMEA training
- FMEA is presented as a tool for Risk Reduction, Quality Improvement, Design for Six Sigma and production Problem Solving.
- Many people still think of FMEA as only a ‘document’ for the customer, but participants will see that FMEA is a structured ‘conversation’ and action that drive risk mitigation.
- Participants will learn how to use FMEA to prioritize and plan countermeasures to mitigate unwanted causes and failure modes.
- The training clarifies linkages between FMEA, Special Characteristics, Control Plans and key related documents.
- Our approach is fully compliant with the requirements of ISO 9001, AS 9100, IATF 16949, and the AIAG & VDA FMEA 1st edition.
Contact us today to learn more about AIAG & VDA FMEA workshops. Simply fill out the contact form or give us a call.
For more information about our approach and ROI, see our case studies page.